Chief Engineer Eclipse
This section or article is a Work in Progress and should not yet be relied on as factual or complete.
Assigned to: Wiki Team
Please discuss changes with assigned users. If no one is assigned, or if the user is inactive, feel free to edit.
|Difficulty: Hard |
Duties: Keep the ship powered, the engines fueled, and the lights replaced.
Guides: The Agreement, Guide to Engineering, SuperMatter Guide, NanoTrasen Lore
Quote: If you even say the phrase eject the SM again, I will feed you to it.
The Chief Engineer is the leading engineer aboard the Northern Light. He supervises and maintains the organs and lifeblood of the ship: the extensive power net and piping system, the shields and thrusters, as well as the generation of power using a Supermatter Crystal. His job is to make sure everything works, and to fix it if it gets broken.
As the Chief, your first priority will be to ensure the proper setup of the SuperMatter reactor. Refer to the guide for a full description of the process. The reactor is extremely important to game progression; after the round starts, without it the power will wane in about 40 minutes causing power outages across the station.
Your second priority should be upgrading the SMES units and setting up the shields to cover the area around the ship. This process is also described in the SuperMatter Guide. If this isn’t done, the ship is vulnerable to asteroids, foreign fauna, and outside breaching. A decent sized asteroid will make some areas of the ship uninhabitable, not to mention killing anything that's unlucky enough to be standing under it. The shields will absorb these blows as long as they are charged enough.
Third priority should be refueling the thrusters. This is described in the Guide to Engineering. You will want to do this if the Captain decides to travel to somewhere during the round. Make sure you keep an eye on how much fuel is left during travel. This is important if you actually want to travel somewhere without setting the ship adrift with no way to propel itself, usually running into asteroid fields.
If these things are all done and take care of, you can rest easy. Just remember that things usually don't stay undamaged for long and you might be called on to do repairs or troubleshoot problems with the ship.
- You have Blueprints of the Ship available to you. This means you can rename all the rooms aboard. Feel free to give the ship your own flair by re-naming the areas you think need it most. The names will be used for all announcements regarding those rooms, and be changed in the camera and map systems.
- Your advanced hardsuit is a powerful piece of tech, that provides good radiation protection and supports many modules.
- The Hatton device found in your locker is a powerful instant breaching tool, that can breach even the strongest of shutters, airlocks, and walls.
- There are many rooms aboard the Northern Light that have been abandoned to the roaches. Maybe there is rebuilding potential there?
- You can order many things from cargo to help you with your work, or personal projects. Check the Supply Console, in the Engineering section.
- Experiment. If you feel comfortable with how the ship works, and how its systems fit together; feel free to try your own set ups and builds for the reactor and other ship systems.