Staff Application: 911EarlyArther/Creep#4024

Creepatron

Staff Application: 911EarlyArther/Creep#4024

Post by Creepatron »

BYOND Key: 911EarlyArther
Discord ID: Creep#4024
Names of notable characters you play on Eclipse: Farwo Barwa, PBU-151, Voxodresvilkullinox, Lyons, Colin Harris, Ecklach Jarlvuhzwichs
How long have you been playing Space Station 13: 4 years
How long have you been playing Eclipse: 3 years
Describe what role-playing means to you: Putting yourself in the shoes of a character who is separate from yourself, and believable enough to fit in the setting, who acts with fear, desires, and needs.
Define what a "Problem Player" is in your own words: Someone who does not conform to the rules, continually breaks them, and refuses to change their behavior.
Define a "Toxic Player" in your own words: A player who acts in poor sportsmanship consistently. This may be in the form of OOC insults, metagrudges, or self-antagging against particular people for OOC reasons.
Define "Admin Abuse" in your own words: Using powers granted as an admin for personal gain, through augmenting other people's rounds unfairly, the admin's own round unfairly, or both, when neither are necessary.
In your opinion, what the biggest problem with the server right now?: Population, definitely.
How would you have it resolved?: I think all that can be done is to play more often, and hope that attracts more people to bolster the population. Events may help, but I'm not experienced in running events, and never have done so (though I would be willing to learn).

Go through the following scenarios and state how you would deal with it...
An adminhelp comes in claiming an individual is griefing.
How I'd handle it: First, I'd let the person ahelping know that the issue is being handled, as I know it can be a bit frustrating to ahelp and not receive a response back as to whether or not they caught it (considering there have been times on other servers where they simply did not notice my ahelp among others). If they didn't provide sufficient information regarding what the other person did, I'd ask them to elaborate, though I think admins can reject/return ahelps and it automatically tells the person to provide more information (I'd have to be taught on that). Once that's done, I'd speak to the supposed griefer and ask them what happened based off of what I have been told by the ahelper. Depending on the circumstances, and their notes, as well as the logs at my disposal, I'd determine what to do from there. I can't really say what the outcome would be without knowing how serious it is, but I feel like if it would not be too serious, I would allow them to go with a warning and a stern talking to.

A player is upset about a scenario, but they are clearly in the wrong.
How I'd handle it: I would explain to them what they did wrong, why it was wrong, and what their options are (if applicable). If I had to give them a ban I would tell them again, why they are being banned, specify it in their ban reason, and tell them before I ban them that they can appeal it on the forums, and reinstate this at the end of their ban reason.

When interviewing several individuals, one is lying but you cannot tell who it is.
How I'd handle it: If possible, I would look at the hit logs, or anything I am able to see to try to match up with at least two of the individuals' claims, as well as see how accurate each individual's information is in correlation to each other. I would be able to assume that the outlier is the one who is lying.

After interviewing several individuals, you have a pretty good idea of who is lying, but still lack concrete, infallible proof. Despite your best efforts, some details remain ambiguous. What now?
How I'd handle it: If available, I would ask a higher level admin for guidance on what to do.

An individual is playing a character who has sparked several adminhelps regarding said individual, but they are not in any clear violation of the rules.
How I'd handle it: Depending on the severity, at best, I would tell them that they should ease up on the behaviors that are garnering them this attention, so that the experience will be more enjoyable for other players. At worst, I would likely tell them to create a new character, citing rule 1.

Multiple character deaths have occurred and you are attempting to investigate. One player exhibits poor role-playing skills combined with insulting all those involved, another rushed after trouble started and only used lethal force, and a third went on and attacked several other individuals after the first fight was finished.
How I'd handle it: Herein, first individual is #1, second individual is #2, third individual is #3. My first questions for myself would be: How would all of them cause this? The latter two are more immediately evident, while the former, #1, could have been the result of poor escalation. I would first interview #3, as he seemed to be the most violent. I would ask him what happened, how things unfolded, as well as warn him about being unnecessarily violent, like he was, and note it. After interviewing him, I'd move to #2. I would go through the same process, asking them what occurred, and what caused it. I likely would not go after them about only using lethal rounds in general, unless this is what caused most of the deaths, instead regarding it as an IC issue. On to #3, I would advise him to put more effort into his roleplaying, but otherwise leave him be, save for the regular questions of the interview. Based on their testimonies, I would then decide who caused most of the deaths, and deal with them accordingly.

How would you handle a situation on station that, whilst a player is calling out for administrative assistance stating that something is unfair, it appears is purely IC?: Mark as an IC-issue.

What would you do if you were uncertain that the purely IC reaction towards the victim or the instigator was unjustified?: I would bwoink the person making the reaction, and ask them why they felt the need to do what they did. Depending on the circumstances, I would either note them or leave them be (unless their "IC reaction" was to nuke the entire station).

And most importantly: How would you handle both situations above without being invasive in the round and turning a situation into an Admin-paralyze and PM slog?: I would try to gather what information I could from logs or whatever is at my disposal, before bwoinking players, so they would not have to sit around for so long answering my questions.

What kinds of events do you think you're willing to run? Propose to me a detailed event idea, and theoretically how you would go about performing in on station: I like the ideas of exploration, inspections, and space pirates. For this, I'd likely choose pirates, as I feel that would be easy enough to do, with mercenaries already available. I would make a unique announcement providing some IC exposition, while still having it remain ambiguous as to the nature of the visitors, so that crew would have to decide if these "pirates" are actually pirates, or something else entirely, that may even help the crew. In reality, the "pirates" would be a roving band of bounty hunters, looking for a special event character who is placed on the ship. The crew does not know what this person has done to garner the attention of bounty hunters, and it is up to them to figure it out, through conflicting information given by the bounty hunters and mercenaries. The wanted man may claim he is simply a diplomat, innocent of any crimes he is accused of, while he may actually be a hardened criminal, who is good at looking the part of a pure man. The bounty hunters, on the other hand, would look fierce and untrustworthy, but this would betray the truth. Essentially, the event would be a test of the crew's diplomatic and mediating abilities. If the crew turns things violent, things will turn violent. If the crew tries to talk things out between them, things may go smoothly.

What prior admin/moderator/management experience do you possess, if any?: None in regards to SS13, minor in terms of Discord moderation.

Finally, what unique aspects of yourself can you bring to the staff? What can you bring to the team that is, in your opinion, needed?: I think my experience mainly playing security across servers would help in de-escalation of situations, as well as applying the rules fairly. I've mained MRP and HRP servers for most of my time playing SS13, so I think I have quite a bit of experience in those environments to make decisions.

thank you for reading my application....... :oops: uuwgguuaaa...aowo owo oooooo