Captain and their Crew
The NEV "Northern Light" belongs to NanoTrasen. The Captain's Board, a board of high ranking NT officials and shareholders aboard, is their primary representative. In the case of irreversible death of the Captain, the First Officer can assume command of the ship. In the event of both high ranking individuals being incapacitated, the department most relevant to the emergency at hand assumes control until the emergency has passed.
- The Cryogenic Oversight computer will only awaken one member of the Captain's board at a time, this representative serves as the voice of NanoTrasen aboard this vessel.
- Except under extreme emergency, orders issued by Heads of Staff, including the Captain may only apply to the shift that they were awakened for.
- A head of staff may reassert any order given from a previous shift, provided the issuing person is present to confirm and enforce the order.
- The Captain or his representative may not legally assign personnel to departments on board without the approval of the relevant departmental head;
- A department head may refuse a captain's orders at any time provided doing so does not break any terms of this Agreement.
- No crewman may make changes to this agreement.
- At any time, the Captain may choose to secede from the agreement in case of emergency, relinquishing his authority to the First Officer, or an appropriate department head.
- A Captain who relinquishes his authority in this way may only return to his previous position with the written or verbal permission of all available department heads.
- For the purpose of this Agreement, Head of Staff refers to the following roles aboard the NEV “Northern Light:”Aegis Commander, Chief Engineer, Chief Medical Officer, Chief Science Officer, Free Trade Union Merchant, and Mekhane Preacher.
- These roles are considered equal to one another, and have jurisdiction only over their assigned departments.
- As Cryogenic Oversight will only awaken one Head of Staff per department, Heads of Staff are expected to enter cryogenic storage at the end of their assigned shift, or if suffering from Space Sleep Disorder (SSD).
- In the absence of an appropriate Head of Staff, each corporation shall follow their internal chain of command for determining the current department head.
- The department head may act as the Head of Staff for the purpose of enforcing this agreement except where it explicitly states “Head of Staff."
- Only the First Officer has the authority to assume acting captainship.
The Ship's Crew, including all hired employees of any organization, have agreed to abide by the laws set in this agreement and shall have the right to:
- Store and bear any kind of weapon and ammunition that is not classified as contraband by Aegis.
- Conduct business which is not inconsistent with the agreement, and is not in breach of any written law.
- Protect themselves and any other crewman in case of immediate risk of loss of life or severe bodily harm.
- Appropriate everything found within uninhabited sections of the vessel, if it is not the property of any crewman or organization on board.