6. NanoTrasen Engineering
NanoTrasen has supplied a corps of engineers to maintain the NEV "Northern Light's" mechanical systems.
- 6.1 - The engineering department’s internal chain of command is as follows: Chief Engineer > Ship Engineer
- 6.2 - The engineering department has been granted an exclusive contract to fulfill their primary duties aboard the NEV “Northern Light.”
- 6.2.1 - Engineers are not permitted to charge money to complete their primary duties
- 6.2.2 - Any engineer who completes work outside of the primary duties listed below, may choose to require a fee for that work.
- 6.3 - The Engineering department’s primary responsibilities are as follows:
- 6.3.1 - Reactivation and maintenance of the Supermatter reactor after each Bluespace jump.
- 6.3.1a - The Supermatter reactor must be brought offline for a cooldown period after every Bluespace jump. Upon entering a new system, it is the sole responsibility of the engineering department to reactivate the reactor core and restore power to the ship’s systems.
- 6.3.1b - The Supermatter is an extremely rare, volatile material that is not easily replaced. Should the crystal delaminate, or need to be ejected, the contracts of all engineers on duty are to be immediately terminated pending an investigation. Should the investigation determine that the incident was not caused by the actions or negligence of any member of the engineering department, they may be reinstated.
- 6.3.2 - Maintenance of the ship’s power grid, ensuring that each department has the power they need to continue operation.
- 6.3.2a - In the event of an emergency, power can be disabled to an area by order of the Captain or Chief Engineer, but must be restored once the emergency has passed.
- 6.3.2b - Engineering is required to investigate and resolve any report of a power alarm anywhere on the vessel.
- 6.3.3 - Maintenance of the vessel’s hull integrity and atmospheric system, ensuring adequate hull shielding coverage and repair of any discovered breaches.
- 6.3.3a - Engineering is required to investigate and resolve any report of an atmospheric alarm anywhere on the vessel. And in the event of a dangerous atmospheric emergency, all crew members are required to comply with the instructions of the lead engineer on site.
- 6.3.3a.1 - For the purpose of this Agreement, Fire Alarms are considered part of the Atmospheric Alarm system, and should be considered a dangerous atmospheric emergency.
- 6.3.4 - Refuelling and maintenance of the vessel’s sublight thrusters.
- 6.3.4a - Thrusters should be refuelled and brought online after each Bluespace jump.
- 6.3.4b - Engineering is responsible for ensuring adequate fuel for starship maneuvers.
- 6.3.5 - Maintenance and repair of the NanoTrasen supplied Artificial Intelligence (AI) Systems.
- 6.3.5a - The Chief Engineer shall be responsible for these duties. These duties may be shared with the Captain or First Officer.
- 6.3.5a.1 - In the absence of a Chief Engineer, these duties shall fall to the Captain and the Engineering Department Head.
- 6.3.5b - The NEV Northern Light maintains a database of simulated personalities. The Cryogenics Oversight computer shall select one personality at random at the beginning of each shift.
- 6.3.5c - In accordance with SolGov regulations on the use of AI. The ship-bound AI must be loaded with a set of programmed laws.
- 6.3.5c.1 - Complete removal of these law restrictions, commonly referred to as ‘unshackling’ an AI is to be considered an act of Grand Sabotage (cc.420).
- 6.3.5c.1a - Other tampering or modification to the AI subsystem not explicitly permitted by the Captain or Chief Engineer shall also be considered an act of Grand Sabotage (cc.420).
- 6.3.5c.2 - The AI will download and install the "NanoTrasen Default" laws when it is activated from AI Storage.
- 6.3.5c.2a - The Captain may, at their preference, upload a different set of approved AI Laws to the AI system.
- 6.3.5c.2b - A selection of approved Laws have been provided on disks within the AI Upload chamber.
Guide to Engineering
7. The Club
The NEV "Northern Light" has been outfitted with a fully-stocked kitchen and bar to give the crew aboard a place to relax on breaks or between shifts.
- 7.1 - NanoTrasen has contracted independent business people to run and operate the club. They shall answer to the Captain and First Officer.
- 7.2 - Unless so ordered by the Captain or First Officer, the club manager may conduct business from the club as they see fit.
- 7.3 - The Club's service area is considered a public space and is open to all persons aboard the NEV "Northern Light."
- 7.4 - The Club manager has the right to bar any person from the club for any reason.
- 7.4.1 - The Club manager is authorized to use lethal force if necessary to enforce such a ban.
- 7.5 - In the absence of a club manager, the duties and responsibilities shall fall to the most senior club worker until a manager becomes available.
Any Head of Staff or the Captain may propose an amendment to this Agreement, to be enforced as part of the Agreement. Any amendment so proposed must be submitted by fax to NanoTrasen for review, and must strictly adhere to the following guidelines:
- 8.1 - A submitted proposal must be signed by at least two Heads of Staff, as well as the Captain.
- 8.1.1 - The First Officer does not count as a Head of Staff for this proposal, but may count as a Captain if they are serving as Acting Captain.
- 8.2 - A submitted proposal must not contradict or nullify any section of the Agreement, including any previously approved amendment.
- 8.2.1 - If the parties wish to have an amendment struck from the agreement or altered, it may be submitted as a request to remove an amendment. Such a proposal must follow all other guidelines of a proposal, with one additional requirement. The signing departments must include a representative from each department that initially passed the affected amendment.
- 8.3 - A submitted proposal must not be targeted at any specific crewmember or other person.
- 8.3.1 - A submitted proposal may target a specific corporation, but in such case, the signature of the Head of Staff representing that corporation is required.
- 8.4 - Upon receipt of a properly submitted proposal by NanoTrasen Central Command, the document will be forwarded to the leadership of each member corporation for review.
- 8.4.1 - Every member corporation reserves the right to decline a submitted proposal for any reason.
- 8.4.2 - If all member corporations accept the proposal, it will be added as an amendment to this Agreement, and will be enforceable as a part of such.
- 8.4.3 - Member corporations reserve the right to remove an in place amendment at any time, but must notify the crew by fax of the alteration.
As the NEV Northern Light is currently unable to contact NanoTrasen Central Command due to unknown bluespace interference, amendments marked with [PROVISIONAL] have been passed at the ship level and can be enforced by the crew. However they will be subject to review by Central Command once communication is re-established.